ABOUT THE BMDCC
Who are we? Establish in 1979, the Bernese Mountain Dog Club of Canada (BMDCC) is a national, non-profit organization that has been the guardian of the breed for more than 40 years. We welcome those interested in the welfare and promotion of the Bernese Mountain Dog.
Our mandate is to promote and protect the welfare of the Bernese Mountain Dog breed and of its individual representatives by:
- Promoting Responsible Breeding Practices: endorsing the Club’s Code of Ethics while encouraging and supporting principled breeding practices among all Canadian breeders towards the finest possible expression of conformation, health and temperament for the Bernese Mountain Dog;
- Sharing Knowledge: educating breed fanciers, the general public, and conformation and obedience judges on the Canadian breed standard, the history and character of the breed and health issues related to the breed;
- Promoting Responsible Ownership: encouraging and promoting responsible ownership and proper care and training of Bernese Mountain Dogs;
- Encouraging Participation: developing interest and encouraging participation among owners in various activities for the breed; including shows, trials and tests; as well as informal, social and educational events.
The BMDCC promotes the well-being of the breed by requiring members and member-breeders to sign a Code of Ethics. By encouraging our breeders to openly share information on Berner-Garde, a worldwide database designed especially for the breed, we strive to improve the health and welfare of Bernese Mountain Dogs.
In addition to holding official competitive events (Conformation shows, Draft tests, Rally and Obedience trials), the BMDCC sponsors local social and training activities such as winter walks, Berner Fun Days, and carting clinics, where newcomers are welcomed and encouraged to participate.
BMDCC Executive, Board Members and Committee Chairs 2020-2022.
|President||Kim Tollefson (AB)|
|Vice President||Kim Doig (AB)|
|Secretary||Helen Rimmer (QC)|
|Treasurer||Gaylynn Janzen (ON)|
|Past President||Maureen Greaves (AB)|
|Membership Chair (ON)||Linda Smith|
|Director, BC & Yukon||Anita Vaartstra (BC)|
|Director, Prairies||John Simons (MB)|
|Director, Quebec||Marie-Josée Beauregard (QC)|
|Director, Atlantic||Jennifer Julian (NB)|
|Webmaster||Lisa Neville (ON)|
|Records Chair||Jennifer Julian (NB)|
|Draft Chair||Dianne Jones (BC)|
|Breed Information||Frances Harding (NB)|
|Rescue Chair||Maureen Greaves (AB)|
|Lisa Ibelshauser (NB)|
Wendy Bennett, Assistant Editor (NB)
Helen Rimmer, Graphic Design (QC)
In becoming a member of the BMDCC, you join a network of individuals from across Canada and the United States who love this wonderful breed and are ready to share their experiences with you. Through Bernese Please, the official newsletter of the Bernese Mountain Dog of Canada included with your membership, you will be kept updated on various issues pertaining to Bernese, share member experiences, and pick up new tips and tricks. Details on types of membership, as well as the application and approval process can be found in the BMDCC Constitution.
For questions concerning membership, please contact Membership Chair: Linda Smith
|Type of Membership||New Member|
(1st year only)
|Single (one adult)||$45||$40|
|Double (2 adults in one family)||$50||$45|
|Members living in the united states (non-voting)||$60||$55|
|Members living outside USA or Canada (non-voting)|
(with Bernese Please in electronic format)
- New members: download a membership application form.
- Current members: to renew your membership download the membership renewal form. Note: The renewal form must be completed and returned to the membership chair by mail or email with your renewal payment (including when using e-transfer).